Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"...Reasons Why I LOve the Philippines"

There is something about lists that can be quite addicting (Apart from the fact that its so easy to make,he hehe) and I've just made up another one.

In these days where everything you would want to go down just defies the law of gravity and would rather follow the thermal path of hot air (up,up ,up and away, see Prof. P., I actually learned something in Physics), example:price of rice,gas, taxes,crime rate, tution fees...the list goes on and on..., let me wax nationalistic and try to convince you that staying in the Philippines is worth your while. Yeah, I know its a losing battle, but you can't fault me for trying. Seriously, notwithstanding the opinion of the diaspora of OFW's,brain drainers,outward immigrants making a beeline for the country's exits to the contrary, there is still a lot about my dear Philippines that would make me think twice about making that "greener pastures thing". Its wishful thinking-cum-patriotism-cum-"the glass is full not half-empty" mentality-cum-pure optimism. After all,I've been here thirty four years and I have'nt yet caught the"come let's leave the country bug." But then, things can change, so, read me up after five years and maybe three kids later.

".... REASONS WHY I LOVE THE PHILIPPINES DESPITE OF..."

1. The neigborhood sari-sari store where you can buy everything "tinga-tinga" and not get the owner's contemptuous stare;
2. The fact that I get invited to lunch when my visit clocks in mealtime (believe me, I don't do that intentionally and it rarely happens, but I know I would feel really bad if I were made to sit while dinner is served, or lunch for that matter. This form of hospitality you don't find anywhere,its something uniquely Pinoy);
3. Growing old is an at-home experience surrounded by family and not a "home for the aged" thing as in other countries. A reversal of roles which is more in consonance with the universal law of good karma. We get taken cared of when we were young, now its our turn to do the same thing;
4. The good supply of temporary unpaid "yaya's" who comes on a short notice when the paid ones just goes up and leaves; there's the sister-in-law, the mother-in-law, the ate, the bunso, the kuya,the mother,the father, all too willing to watch over the little "pamangkin" or "apo"while mama contributes to the family income;
5. "Kinilaw" - yes, I haven't yet come across a similar dish in other cultures (as if I have been exposed to other cultures, haha). Actually, its an improvement over sashimi cause the vinegar in it cooks the fish. More hygienic even, but as to whats better I leave to your individual taste;
6. Hired help;
7. Women power(we had two woman presidents yet);
8. Propensity of Pinoys to connect (we have the liga ng barangay,liga ng kabataan, liga ng mga homeowners,liga ng parents teachers associations, not to mention the leagues of mayors, vice-mayors, governors, vice-governors and so on and so forth). Everyone is part of at least one community;
9. "Kamag-anak hotel" where you get homegrown hospitality for free;
10. A "salt-eating" bundy clock (ha, ha, ha, office truants,you know what I mean);
I would want a much longer list but try as I might, nothing comes to mind anymore. 'Tis a sad thing, really for all the hype of a big adventure, it still is a truism, there's no place like home. Now, if we could get our act togther, maybe we could have a much longer list.

No comments: