Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Waray ako

Writing about what makes me distinctly a Waraynon, is quite hard. This is most especially true in a world that has made Western brands a byword and where identity among Filipinos as to their roots and culture an almost lost cause. What makes it doubly difficult is being part of the MTV generation whose attention span is comparable to the music videos regularly churned out in our time. But still, the task is not impossible. So let me cull from my lifetime of experiences and my lifelong stay in these part of the Philippine archipelago collectively know as the Eastern Visayas. One word for each representation.

The coconut tree - Perhaps this is where we got our name, waray-waray. Pop culture has it that because the coconut tree was abundant in our land, people just sat and waited for its fruits to fall, without any effort on our part. ("Waray-waray, waray labot, waray pakialam");

Imelda country - Arguably, the region's most famous contribution to recent history;

San Juanico Bridge - longest bridge in Asia.....

Grrrr. Im no historian so I better stop pretending to be one. Let me just say this. I'm a Waray-waray and proud to be one.

No comments: