Monday, August 18, 2008

Hudimhudim (Superstitious Beliefs of the Warays)

I'm now waiting for my client and in the meantime, after I have done my requisite research needed for her problem, I've decided to compile and share with you some beliefs that have taken to becoming gospel truths for some of our rural folks. Take it from my yaya who always takes me to task for cuttting my nails at night. It brings bad luck daw. And, no, you shouldn't praise a baby's good health as she might be "mabubuyagan"(the opposite could happen soon, in this case, the baby could get sick). A favorite of mine is the "tabi apoy"(excuse us, spirits of the underworld). Your supposed to say this when crossing an isolated patch of trees or shrubbery or anywhere that is believed to be inhabited by mystical creatures. Otherwise, youwould be disturbing their peace and suffer their wrath in the form of horrific skin blisters. In places where a dermatologist is an almost unknown specie and a trip to one an unaffordable luxury, this explanation comes in handy for skin diseases. This is where the kulam or tambalan comes in. His expertise is called upon and he makes the usual incantations and herbal preparations said to assuage the angry spirits. Actually sometimes the problem is nothing that a tube of Trosyd or Clostrasone ointment can't solve. But then long-held and age old beliefs have held fast despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

When I gave birth years ago, I ran into an avalanche of such beliefs, and rather then offending some sensitive feelings, dutifully complied to its adherents e.g. you can't sleep with you back to your baby; you can't take a bath until after a week at least (the latter I just couldn't do), but the one I truly liked was "babaye im anak kay mahusay ka na burod"(Your baby will be a girl becuase your a beautiful pregnant woman). Modesty aside, they said I was one blooming preggy and...perhaps this is why superstitions die hard, my baby did turn out to be a girl. But the winner of all hudimhudim...drumroll please... is the belief that bathing during menstruation can make you insane. Hmmm...Perhaps that explains some of our leaders' erratic behaviour?

All of the above is just the tip of the iceberg, for more of the Pinoy's unscientific explanations for the unknown, you might take a visit to this site click here.

No comments: